Gutzon Borglum, sculptor of Mt Rushmore, carved the monument in 1938 for the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Northwest Territory expansion of the US in Marietta in 1788. It was carved using local sandstone from a nearby quarry. As a familiar landmark in Marietta, the Start Westward Monument has suffered from the wear of weather as well as in the past serving as a climbing exercise for local children. In 1961 the central figure lost his head and Fred Mitchum of Beverly carved a replacement.
Categories & Keywords
Category:Architecture and Structures
Subcategory:Places of Interest
Keywords:1788, Historic, Marietta, Northwest, Northwest Ordinance, Ohio, Ohio Company, Statue, Territory, long exposure, night photography